Current:Home > MarketsCleveland museum sues to stop seizure of statue believed to depict Marcus Aurelius -Capitatum
Cleveland museum sues to stop seizure of statue believed to depict Marcus Aurelius
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 16:51:08
CLEVELAND (AP) — The Cleveland Museum of Art has sued New York City authorities over their seizure of a headless bronze statue believed to depict the Roman emperor and philosopher Marcus Aurelius.
A warrant signed by a judge in Manhattan on Aug. 14 ordered the seizure of the statue, which the museum acquired in 1986 and had been a highlight of its collection of ancient Roman art. The museum argues in its suit that the statue was lawfully obtained and that Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office has no legal authority to seize it.
The warrant was secured as part of an ongoing investigation into a smuggling network involving antiquities looted from Bubon in southwestern Turkey and trafficked through Manhattan, a spokesperson for Bragg has said. The 76-inch (1.9-meter) statue dates from A.D. 180 to 200 and is worth $20 million, according to the district attorney’s office.
The suit filed Thursday asks a judge to declare that the museum is the rightful owner of the statue, which it calls “one of the most significant works in the (museum’s) collection” of some 61,000 objects. Museum officials have repeatedly told the district attorney that their evidence is insufficient and suggested other investigative avenues, according to the suit, but all have been refused.
The museum said it also has consulted experts who cast “significant doubt” on the identification of the statue as Marcus Aurelius, noting the experts believe it’s more likely a statue of another Greek philosopher.
A spokesman for Bragg said the office is reviewing the lawsuit and “will respond in court papers.” He also noted the office has successfully recovered more than 4,600 illegally traffic antiquities.
Museum spokesman Todd Mesek said it does not discuss ongoing litigation but noted the museum takes provenance issues very seriously.
The statue was removed from view earlier this year, and the museum changed the description of the piece on its website, where it calls the statue a “Draped Male Figure” instead of indicating a connection to Marcus Aurelius.
Turkey first made claims about the statue in 2012 when it released a list of nearly two dozen objects in the Cleveland museum’s collection that it said had been looted from Bubon and other locations. Museum officials said at the time that Turkey had provided no hard evidence of looting.
The Manhattan district attorney’s office has worked in recent years to repatriate hundreds of objects looted from countries including Turkey, Greece, Israel and Italy. It was unclear who might be targeted in the investigation of the statue seized in Cleveland.
Marcus Aurelius ruled as Roman emperor from A.D. 161 to 180 and was a Stoic philosopher whose “Meditations” have been studied over the centuries.
The seized statue shows a man in flowing robes holding one hand in front of him in a regal pose.
veryGood! (215)
Related
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Bible-quoting Alabama chief justice sparks church-state debate in embryo ruling
- Sam Waterston's last case: How 'Law & Order' said goodbye to Jack McCoy
- Community Opposition and Grid Challenges Slow the Pace of Renewable Efforts, National Survey of Developers Shows
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Grey's Anatomy Alum Justin Chambers Gives Rare Glimpse Into Private World With 4 Daughters
- Remakes take over Nintendo Direct: Epic Mickey and Mother 3, plus Star Wars and more
- CBP officers seize 6.5 tons of meth in Texas border town bust, largest ever at a port
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Biometric gun safes are recalled because they don't keep out unauthorized users, including kids
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Andy Cohen Apologizes to Brandi Glanville Over Inappropriate Joke About Sleeping With Kate Chastain
- A medida que aumentan las temperaturas, más trabajadores mueren en el campo
- Americans have more credit card debt than savings again in 2024. How much do they owe?
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- MLB players miffed at sport’s new see-through pants, relaying concerns to league
- Love Is Blind’s Jimmy Responds to Allegations He Had Off-Screen Girlfriend During Filming
- College basketball bubble tracker: Several Big East teams hanging in limbo for men's tournament
Recommendation
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Untangling the 50-Part Who TF Did I Marry TikTok
Hotel California lyrics trial reveals Eagles manager cited God Henley in phone call
Florida defies CDC in measles outbreak, telling parents it's fine to send unvaccinated kids to school
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Utah man sues Maduro over trauma caused by nearly two years of imprisonment in Venezuela
Emotional vigil held for 11-year-old Audrii Cunningham after family friend charged in her murder
Virginia House and Senate pass competing state budgets, both diverge from Youngkin’s vision